Recently, at the 17th annual World Alba White Truffle Charity Auction, which took place in Piedmont, Italy and Philadelphia, a white truffle sold for $112,000! This truffle was about 2.5 lbs and the bidding began at $480 an ounce. White truffles have about a seven day shelf life so time was crucial. This was a fancy event with world class chefs cooking truffles and people bidding on world class truffles. One chef, Hamann, who was cooking at the event had about $20,000 worth of truffles to cook with. The Italians were much more enthusiastic about bidding on truffles than the Americans, but the auctioneer, Freeman, kept the auction going. The remaining two bidders were Giordano and Del Raso, the event chairs and Dong Zhenxiang executive chef at Da Dong Roast Duck in Beijing, China. Unfortunately this truffle did not end up in the United States and you will have to fly to Beijing and eat at Da Dong Roast Duck in the next week in order to taste it. However, the whole event raised about $60,000 for the National Italian American Foundation (NIAF).
Comments are closed.
- Honeybees gain viral protection from eating polypore extracts
- Lager yeast getting a documentary
- Deadly behavior-modifying weapon identified in insect-world chemical arms race
- Massasaugas snake skin microbiome is altered by fungal diseases
- Pollution is hitting the fungi that nourish European trees
- Advancements made in desert truffle mycorrhization of Helianthemum
- Is eating mushrooms helpful for sugar metabolism?
- 3rd Generation Sequencing Improves Fungal Barcoding
- Another reason why fungi rock!
- New fungus found on pistachio trees in Italy
- Shroom boom: Mushroom pickers find big ones in UP
- Fungi are important for regulating the climate
- Kew Gardens Releases Report on World Fungi
- How fungus could forever change the future of manufacturing
- First report of resistance to Fluxapyroxad and Fluopyram in Botrytis cinerea from commercial apple fields in Washington State
- Sooty Molds
- Current Fungal Biology – The importance of the mycobiome in wound treatment
- Stoned, hallucinating coyotes terrorizing California drivers
- The unexpected dangers of mushroom hunting in France
- Bioluminescence in the ghost fungus Omphalotus nidiformis does not attract potential spore dispersing insects
- Farming a pathogen?
- New Monsanto Seed with Fungus Coating
- New test for differentiation of wheat blast strains
- Alternaria alternata Alt a 1 protein could be a cause of asthma allergies in humans
- $10M Fight Against Ohi’a Death