Recently, at the 17th annual World Alba White Truffle Charity Auction, which took place in Piedmont, Italy and Philadelphia, a white truffle sold for $112,000! This truffle was about 2.5 lbs and the bidding began at $480 an ounce. White truffles have about a seven day shelf life so time was crucial. This was a fancy event with world class chefs cooking truffles and people bidding on world class truffles. One chef, Hamann, who was cooking at the event had about $20,000 worth of truffles to cook with. The Italians were much more enthusiastic about bidding on truffles than the Americans, but the auctioneer, Freeman, kept the auction going. The remaining two bidders were Giordano and Del Raso, the event chairs and Dong Zhenxiang executive chef at Da Dong Roast Duck in Beijing, China. Unfortunately this truffle did not end up in the United States and you will have to fly to Beijing and eat at Da Dong Roast Duck in the next week in order to taste it. However, the whole event raised about $60,000 for the National Italian American Foundation (NIAF).
Comments are closed.
- Devastating Fungal Disease Found in Michigan
- Bioelectricity Using Button Mushrooms
- Yeast-Associated Asthma
- Mycelium: Designing the way we explore Mars
- Complete genomes from single-cells of unculturable fungi
- Identification of two fungal pathogens causing white villous disease on medicinal mushrooms in China
- El Portobello: The Mushroom Surfboard
- Fungi Recieved Crytsal forming Gene from Bacteria
- Possible Mycovirus Control of White Mold
- Upsettingly, Michigan does not have the largest Fungi on earth, humongous fungus
- Kim Jong-mushroom? Myco-steps toward diplomacy.
- Black fungi help protect wood, but it’s useless to you.
- New Methods for Fighting White-Nose Syndrome in Bats
- Mushroom-Algae Solar Cells
- Follow your nose to where the diseases grow!
- Medicinal Caterpillar Fungus Endangered
- Frog communities coexist with deadly chytrid fungus and are recovering
- First Genetic Profile of an Aspergillus Section
- Astonishing plastic degrading fungus is discovered amidst garbage dump!
- Mushrooms as vitamins
- Ground control to major Tom, put your strigolactone on
- Honeybees gain viral protection from eating polypore extracts
- Lager yeast getting a documentary
- Deadly behavior-modifying weapon identified in insect-world chemical arms race
- Massasaugas snake skin microbiome is altered by fungal diseases